This little elf is 8 months old! 8 months is one of those ages that sounds “so old” to me. When she was born I couldn’t fathom her being 8 whole months old, just like how now I can’t fathom her being 12 whole months old. I have the sneaking suspicion that this will keep happening.
Things that are new in the world of Josie Rosie:
- She is loving purees finally! It took awhile for her tongue thrust reflex to relax and suddenly one day she was just… eating. Swallowing! Zach’s coworker had given us a case of baby food that their kids hadn’t gotten through so we’ve been working our way through that. Her favorite so far has been chicken and apples. I was hopeful that the protein would maybe help her sleep through the night without needing to eat but alas, she still wakes up pretty reliably between 3-5am.
- Except for last night, in which she slept from 7pm-6am!!!!!!!!!!! First time ever sleeping through the night.
- Feeding her in general is something that stresses me out. I feel like I’m pretty confident/relaxed in a lot of aspects of baby raising so far but food, man! I have no idea when she’s supposed to be able to eat real food, and when she is, how am I supposed to prevent her from choking to death?!
- Her little bottom teeth continue to grow and her toothy new smile is the cutest.
- Josie spent her first Thanksgiving at Zach’s parents’ in Williamsburg! We had a nice long visit as opposed to our usual 48 hour weekend trips, and it was finally enough time for her to start warming up to GiGi and Grandpa. By the end of our trip she was happily playing in my mother-in-law’s lap which was such a joy. Zach and I even had a date night one evening after Josie went to bed! Our first real time alone together since she was born. We were exhausted and could have gone straight to bed but we toughed it out for some quality time together and it was so worth it. We got Starbucks and did some Christmas shopping, and it was perfect. We can’t wait to be back to the ‘burg for Christmas soon!
- JoJo laughs so easily. The best laughs come from tickling and when Zach puts her on our bed, and takes a running start to jump on the bed. She LOVES it. She also laughs whenever people around her seem to be laughing.
- She got her over her clinginess of last month a little bit and is happy with daddy again. Not strangers though!
- Although, she has done better and better in the church nursery. This past Sunday she was happy the whole time and it did my mama heart good to hear that she is getting used to playing with others there. Just in time for us to leave…
- Josie’s favorite toys are anything that is not a toy. If I act really interested in something and then set it down, she goes right for it. Cue me acting like a measuring cup is the coolest thing in the world so that she’ll want to play with that instead of a cell phone.
- Her desperation to play with a cell phone makes me more acutely aware of my cell phone usage in front of her, so I’ve been trying to really limit that. It’s hard!
- She loves our Christmas tree. Yes, we are moving in 10 days but we still put up and decorated our Christmas tree. I was reluctant but Zach insisted, and now I’m glad because it makes our apartment so cheery in the midst of packing and boxes everywhere. We may not have a pot to cook with but at least there is a Christmas tree!
- She is terrified of the sound that the packing tape makes. This makes it difficult to pack boxes with her around!
- She loves Duncan. She is starting to really notice when he’s around and reaches her hands out to him. When he comes up to sniff her out and lick her face she cracks up. He has been very good with her still, and we give him lots of treats for being a gentle boy. Josie’s version of petting is grabbing a fistful of fur and ripping it out, so he’s really earning those treats!
- No signs of crawling yet! She rolls all over the place and eventually gets to wear she wants to go that way.
- At night when I sing her a song right before I put her in her crib, she makes these soft, high pitched sing-songy noises. She only does it during this time and I finally realized she is trying to sing with me. Cue heart explosion.
- Josie is not the snuggliest baby right now and doesn’t enjoy being cuddled or hugged and kissed too much. She is our Miss Independent! It does make it extra, extra sweet when she lays her head on our shoulders or lays still on our laps every once in awhile. Sometimes her last nap of the day is way too short and the only way I can get her to sleep a little longer is by jumping in bed with her. This has been working less and less but when she does fall back asleep, her warm little body cuddled up against mine – there is just nothing better.
Well Josephine Rosephine is about to have her first Christmas and big family move! She is getting harder and harder to photograph because she is always on the move, our little squirmy wormy. And yes, I had to cut her Santa hat so it would fit over her 99th percentile head. Merry Christmas!